Post Reply  Post Thread 

Training
firewarden_1998

Group: Registered
Training

Great news my 15 year old son wants to try-out for cross-country next school year. He has asked if I will help him start running, of course!!!!

My question which I know eveyone has an opinion and that is what I'm looking for here. I'm training for another half-marathon in November, I'm going to have him start the walk/run that is outlined in Getting Real About Running. I train three days a week with a group, Mondays - Track/speed work, Wed - on my own and Thurs - hill repeats then the good ole group run on Sat. I thought I would run with him on Tues, Thurs and Sun, is this a good or bad idea?Banana

05-13-2009 12:04 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
LR_Canuck
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Training

I have some mixed feelings Firewarden. Running with your son and adding some light running would be beneficial. However, going from 4 to 7 days of running really increases your chance of injury.

I think you may need to some sacrifice some of your training runs or at least combine some of them. For instance, would it be possible to run with your son as a warm up for your track work or hill work??

Just some thoughts. I think it's great that you're taking the time to help out your son.

05-13-2009 11:59 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

I tend to agree with Leyton on this one. Thats a lot of days to be running. I like the combining workouts part. Does your son have a friend he can start out with as well. That way they would have each other to run with while you do the "coaching" from the sidelines at times.

05-14-2009 12:11 AM
The Other Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

kids recover almost instantly. he needs to run almost everyday. You can watch him run on the track...send him out on his runs and meet him when he gets back. You can even cycle along side of him sometimes. He needs to run a lot at his age. You only need to be there to help encourage him to run harder and to get better...not to actually run with him.

So do you think that he wants you to run with him, or coach him??? There is a difference.

When I moved to a new town just before my freshman year of high school I had a brother-in-law train me. I became the first freshman to be athlete of the year twice that year. He never ran a step with me...I later learned that he had trained to run the '64 Olympics, but got bumped out at the last minute for the world record relay attempt. He clearly could have run with me. He made me run till I puked each day and laughed at me...to this day I still can't run in the heat...but I am clearly not afraid of anything.

05-14-2009 05:00 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Prncssrnnr
Posting Freak Wannabe

TOJ ~ Really?

Life is good!
05-14-2009 06:13 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: