Post Reply  Post Thread 

Exercise with walking pneumonia?
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

Group: Registered
Exercise with walking pneumonia?

I have been coughing for about 10 days. It's lightened up since the beginning, but still hanging in there. I have been cough up some yellow gunk.
I have taken it easy in some ways, not in others. I have done easy runs instead of speedwork, continued to cycle, and have skipped swimming. I managed to do my century ride Sunday. I was mostly fine on the bike, but would hack up crap at the rest stops. Mostly avoided the speedwork as the heavy breathing would have had me hacking away.
I went to the doctor, and he sent me for an xray. It was mostly clearn, but there were some faint lines he said might be mucus blockages or something like that. He thought it might be walking pneumonia, and prescribed an antibiotic called Azithromycin. I just took the first two pills.
Can (or should) I still exercise during this? I still have plenty of energy. I also have my half-iron tri in less than 3 weeks.

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes

This post was last modified: 06-10-2009 06:37 AM by Shy Flirt.

06-10-2009 06:07 AM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Daniel M
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Exercise with walking pneumonia?

I bet that you already know the answer. You just don't want to accept it.

<----- Running in Edmonton at -22°C / 7°F
06-10-2009 06:44 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
kathyb
Posting Freak Wannabe

Please don't, Rob. I went through this in March 2008. I kept running, up to 9 miles, with the *worst* bronchitis. I'd tell myself, "if I can run 9 miles, I'm not really sick". So, so stupid and it really slowed my recovery. Just give in to your illness - take your medication, rest, push fluids, and don't exercise for a week or two. You will come back stronger, refreshed and ready to go.

Or you could keep running and deal with this walking pneumonia for a couple of months. Your choice.

06-10-2009 09:17 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Hillard
Posting Freak Wannabe

Shy Flirt Wrote:

I have been coughing for about 10 days. It's lightened up since the beginning, but still hanging in there. I have been cough up some yellow gunk.
I have taken it easy in some ways, not in others. I have done easy runs instead of speedwork, continued to cycle, and have skipped swimming. I managed to do my century ride Sunday. I was mostly fine on the bike, but would hack up crap at the rest stops. Mostly avoided the speedwork as the heavy breathing would have had me hacking away.
I went to the doctor, and he sent me for an xray. It was mostly clearn, but there were some faint lines he said might be mucus blockages or something like that. He thought it might be walking pneumonia, and prescribed an antibiotic called Azithromycin. I just took the first two pills.
Can (or should) I still exercise during this? I still have plenty of energy. I also have my half-iron tri in less than 3 weeks.

Nope.  This would fall under the "symptoms below the neck" guideline - if you have anything like fevers, aches, productive cough, nausea, diarrhea, lay off.  Finish your antibiotics (all five days), even if you feel better after a day or two.  And, I actually would expect you still won't be feeling your best for your tri - it can take that long to fully recover from a pneumonia.

Hillard, aka Mr. Runner Angie

<---  It's spring! Time to get back on my bike!
06-10-2009 10:48 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

The only symptom I have is the productive cough. So after I finish the antibiotics, I can workout again? So like Sunday?

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
06-10-2009 11:14 AM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Hillard
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE:  Exercise with walking pneumonia?

Shy Flirt Wrote:

The only symptom I have is the productive cough. So after I finish the antibiotics, I can workout again? So like Sunday?

You could work out whenever, but your lungs aren't going to like it anytime real soon - the inflammation from the pneumonia will still persist for a while after treatment.  You may be able to do a lighter, shorter workout, but longer, more intense stuff wouldn't be good yet.

Hillard, aka Mr. Runner Angie

<---  It's spring! Time to get back on my bike!
06-10-2009 08:25 PM
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

I guess what is, is. I will take it easy, then hopefully go for a bike ride on Sunday. Hopefully I wont be coughing by then. Thanks!

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
06-10-2009 10:53 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: