Post Reply  Post Thread 

Weekend ride reports - October 24/25
Hillard
Posting Freak Wannabe

Group: Registered
Weekend ride reports - October 24/25

Rides this late?!

Sure...if you've got the gear, even when it's only in the 40's or below, it certainly can be done.

Saturday's ride was a loop down to Twin Springs and then through Graf and Peosta - lots of climbing, and a bit breezy and chilly with a temp just under 50F.  For this ride, I had on the bib tights, toe warmers, wind jacket, and glove liners.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/17017576

Today's ride was an out-and-back to Epworth, a much flatter ride.  It was a little warmer and less windy, so I wore my standard kit, with just arm warmers for the 60ish temps.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/17109060

The forecast for the upcoming week looks generally good, so I'll try to get some more outdoor miles in.

Hillard, aka Mr. Runner Angie

<---  It's spring! Time to get back on my bike!
10-26-2009 09:56 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
kra-z runner
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Weekend ride reports - October 24/25

Need pics of what you wear to ride in temps of 40s please! :-) I've been a wimp, no riding in the mornings since it's in the 50s. Maybe I didn't dress warm enough last time so I am not so inclined to ride when it's below 60.

Yesterday was the Tour de Cure kickoff ride and I got in 33 miles. My only riding in last 2 weeks. During my 100 mile ride on 10/10 I developed a sharp pain on the inside of my left knee. I figured it was because of all the climbing (6000' elevation gain) The next day I participated in a mini tri and the pain, ouch! (but I figured I was sore) Then I didn't ride for 2 weeks but I ran with no problem so I forgot about it until yesterday's ride. 16 miles into the ride my left knee started acting up. Sitting, standing, lifting up nor pushing down on the pedals made any difference. I've switched to Look pedals end of August but have ridden several 50-60 mile rides without problem. Could this be overuse? The longest I've ridden was 65 before I did 100. If it's over use, isn't 2 weeks enough time to heal? Maybe I need to be off the bike longer? Or adjust my cleats or saddle?

10-26-2009 10:53 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Hillard
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE:  Weekend ride reports - October 24/25

kra-z runner Wrote:

Need pics of what you wear to ride in temps of 40s please!  :-)  I've been a wimp, no riding in the mornings since it's in the 50s.  Maybe I didn't dress warm enough last time so I am not so inclined to ride when it's below 60.

Well, I don't have any pix handy yet (gotta have Angie or the girls get some shots when I go out in the cold), but here's a guide to what I wear as the temps go down...

80F and up - short sleeve jersey, bib shorts

60-80F - same, add a base layer sleeveless top

50-60F - long sleeve jersey with short or long sleeve base layer, shorts with leg warmers

40-50F - long sleeve jersey or wind jacket with insulating base layer, bib tights (mine are a bit thicker with a chamois, so no shorts), fingered gloves, helmet liner/skullcap, toe warmers

30-40F - insulating base layer, winter cycling jacket, winter gloves, shorts with unpadded bib tights (I also have a more insulated pair of non-bib tights), balaclava (or skullcap and earmuffs -a pair that is thin and goes more around the back), insulated shoe covers

below 30F - tech tee and shorts ;) - chances are the roads are not ridable anyway, so I'll use my rollers inside.

kra-z runner Wrote:

Yesterday was the Tour de Cure kickoff ride and I got in 33 miles.  My only riding in last 2 weeks.  During my 100 mile ride on 10/10 I developed a sharp pain on the inside of my left knee.  I figured it was because of all the climbing (6000' elevation gain)  The next day I participated in a mini tri and the pain, ouch! (but I figured I was sore)  Then I didn't ride for 2 weeks but I ran with no problem so I forgot about it until yesterday's ride.  16 miles into the ride my left knee started acting up.  Sitting, standing, lifting up nor pushing down on the pedals made any difference.  I've switched to Look pedals end of August but have ridden several 50-60 mile rides without problem.  Could this be overuse?  The longest I've ridden was 65 before I did 100.  If it's over use, isn't 2 weeks enough time to heal?  Maybe I need to be off the bike longer?  Or adjust my cleats or saddle?

I'd look closely at how your cleats are adjusted - it's likely you're too far toe-in or toe-out.  Are you using black, grey, or red cleats?  The black cleats have no rotational play, the grey about 4.5 degrees, and the red about 9 degrees, making them the most forgiving of the three.  I use the red, but even with that, I'm still very careful to make sure they're set correctly.

Also, when using Look pedals, you have to make sure you account for the stack height of the cleat and sole over the pedal - if it's more or less than your old pedal/cleat/shoe setup, you have to adjust the seat up or down to compensate.

And, of course, make sure your saddle is adjusted fore-aft - I'm a knee-over-pedal-spindle guy (actually just a skosh behind to help with climbing) and that the seat post hasn't slipped down the seat tube over time.

10-26-2009 11:27 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
kra-z runner
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Weekend ride reports - October 24/25

Thanks Hill for the cold weather riding apparel guide. I've almost resorted to spin class at the gym but got bored out of my mind. Can't stand the loud music and no change of scenery.

I have the gray cleat and so far everything looks fine to me. I may however adjust the noise of the saddle to point down a bit. It's scooted as far forward as it goes but I remember the LBS guy adjusted the noise to point up a bit when I had numbness issues. That was about 3 weeks before the century ride. Hopefully this will help. I really hope my biking is pain free, can't deal with pain in both running and biking, one sport pain is enough!

10-26-2009 01:04 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Hillard
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE:  Weekend ride reports - October 24/25

kra-z runner Wrote:

Thanks Hill for the cold weather riding apparel guide.  I've almost resorted to spin class at the gym but got bored out of my mind.  Can't stand the loud music and no change of scenery.

I have the gray cleat and so far everything looks fine to me.  I may however adjust the noise of the saddle to point down a bit.  It's scooted as far forward as it goes but I remember the LBS guy adjusted the noise to point up a bit when I had numbness issues.  That was about 3 weeks before the century ride.  Hopefully this will help.  I really hope my biking is pain free, can't deal with pain in both running and biking, one sport pain is enough!

Hmm...it could be possible you have a varus/valgus issue with your foot on the pedal (tilts in or out at the ankle).  You may have to check in either at your bike shop or with an experienced bike fitter to figure out the knee thing.  I'm not sure adjusting saddle tilt will help the knee (but it'll help down "below").

10-26-2009 08:53 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: