Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 » Last » Post Reply  Post Thread 

Jackets anyone?
lefty_flash

Group: Registered
Jackets anyone?

The past 2 years I have gotten many compliments on my LVM jacket with the 2006 course embroidered on it, and already a couple of you have commented on looking forward to seeing me and my jacket (although I think everyone *really* just wants to see the jacket. LOL) again this year.

Since we are now at year 5, I believe that it is high time that we got the coolest jackets ever.

I visited a local embroiderer merchant here today and brought with me my "route" jacket (the embroider was VERY impressed with it), my lvm21 T-shirt (with Albert's infamous cards and the "21 the hard way" logo) and Daniel's LVM21 tattoo.

I had a nice conversation with the guy and discussed different options and indicated that I was looking for information to pass along to all of you this coming weekend.

Well, I left with more questions that I went in with and thought that perhaps it would be better to at least get the conversation going prior to this weekend so that we can get out collective brain power together so that we can have something nailed down as soon after the '09 run as possible.

Here was my original thought:
[list=1]
[*]A jacket similar to the one that you've seen me in. It's light weight, but not ultra light
[*]I think that a black/gold combination would be most fitting (but I've coome to be quite fond of my black/red) I think the two color jacket stands out much better than a single color
[*]Daniel's LVM21 Tattoo logo (I don't know who actually created the artwork for it, but since he had the tattoos created, I associate them with him. If I'm slighting anyone, I apologize.)
[*]Some sort of distinctive large logo on the back
[*]Optionally, our web site address (PR is PR)
[/list]

When it comes to the rear artwork, Albert's superb K-Q-A combination, presents some challenges to embroider.

[list=1]
[*]On a black jacket, the mostly white cards require extensive stitching
[*]Even if the cards are just outlined in white, I'm not sure the cards would look natural (but a prototype graphic would be helpful)
[*]The current arrangement of cards includes a king of clubs as well as the queen and ace of hearts. Even with the cards outlined, the club won't work on a black jacket back. All hearts or a combination of diamonds and hearts would.
[*]The current placement of the K & Q face cards expose the actual king and queen. Again, black on black won't work. Would arranging the cards so only the rank (K and Q) are visible, with the ace overlaid work better?
[/list]

That leaves us with the following questions:[list=1]
[*]Would we want to stay with something similar to the original artwork?
[*]Would we like to have something else?
[*]If something else, would we want to open it up to everyone to submit entries and vote?
[*]Would the choice be based on popular vote or discretion/choice of the board members?
[/list]

Dollars and cents.
[list=1]
[*]The jacket I have runs around $50 (which I personally think is outrageous for what it is) but it is a good quality jacket.
[*]The embroidery setup is $90-100 (but I'd gladly foot the bill for this)
[*]The embroidery cost per jacket is approximately $40-45 (sometimes I think I'm in the wrong business, but I don't see them beating the doors down there)
[*]Exact cost would be partially a function of quantity, but I whould imagine/hope that we could get an order of 30-50 jackets.
[*]Shipping individual jackets might add approximately another $5.
[*]All tolled, I'm guessing that we are in the $95-100 range.
[/list]

Here's the big question.

Is there enough interest to support pursuing this any further?

I've been at several events where "teams" were represented and all showed up in identical gear (including tops/bottoms) and I think it makes a statement.

Now for my $0.02.

Yes, I know it's a lot of money, but I'd gladly scrimp/save elsewhere to be able to do this. Not for the physical jacket, but for what it represents. My association with each and every one of you.

Any comments, suggestions, and/or criticisms are welcomed.

Lefty

<--- My 2005 Finisher Photo
12-01-2009 03:01 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
DickieV
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Jackets anyone?

I'm down. I just paid $80 for a bike jersey for some other organization I take part in that means almost nothing to me, it's a cool jersey though, I'm just want to one up my buddies with their strip club jerseys!! So yeah, count me in. I don't buy running clothes or gear much. Shoes tend to be my biggest expense, so.....there you have it. I'm terrible at visualizing from a description so when we have someone talented enough to do a mock up I'm sure I'll approve. Oh, and I don't remember your jacket Lefty.

Chef for kids 5k
12-01-2009 03:26 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Donaldaz
Posting Freak

Sounds like a great idea Lefty. Thanx for bringing this up. I'm in.

Upcoming Races
Las Vegas Full/Half Marathon, Nov 16th
Gilbert Half Marathon, Nov 22nd
Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon, Dec 14th
PF Chang's Marathon, Jan 18th
12-01-2009 03:37 PM
rkmjtk
Posting Freak Wannabe

Count me in as interested, I would gladly spend that much! I'm also like DV my visualization sucks!

Vegas goes by to fast!
12-01-2009 04:44 PM
kathyb
Posting Freak Wannabe

Love the idea. Would the jackets be gender specific? If so, I'm definitely in. Probably would get one even if they aren't. Thanks, Lefty!!!!!

12-01-2009 09:19 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
CanadianBeancounter
Posting Freak Wannabe

I have a picture of the back of John's jacket that I can post once I get the kids off to school. It's very impressive.

12-01-2009 10:50 PM
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

I like the idea minus the website on the back. You guys know I am very anti-PR for our group. It just isn't the feel we have nor the reason we started the group. Other than that I love it and yes I would pay for it.

As for the logo. Do we have to have the cards or can we just do the club logo with the diamond shaped Vegas sign? That seems to be something easier to embroider? Would we want it huge on the back or just on the front upper shoulder region and not so huge?

12-02-2009 01:06 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Lesley
Runner Formerly Known as Posting Freak Wannabe

Very cool idea, John!

May the course be with you.
12-02-2009 01:14 AM
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

I haven't seen the jacket. I like the idea. Is it a running jacket?

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
12-02-2009 01:25 AM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

I love the idea of the jacket and would love to get one.

Because of the relationship I have with Brooks I would love to see us use one of there jackets. I am supposed to only wear their stuff (Shelly too). Here are a couple of the jackets they make.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/210113/26475/Tienken%20II%20Jacket

http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/200003/26475/Podium%20Jacket

Because Shelly and I are both ID members we should be able to get a big discount (40%) on the jacket price.

12-02-2009 02:44 AM
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: