Post Reply  Post Thread 

Bike Trainer
Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

Group: Registered
Bike Trainer

I have had an old cheap trainer for a few years not, think I got it for under $100. But it is about to die. Resistance is not working right, the roller is not even with the frame anymore.

That means I need to start looking at a new one. Anyone have recomendations?

03-19-2010 12:18 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
The Other Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Bike Trainer

Sexy and single would good criteria for a bike trainer...well most any trainer for that matter...or is that not what you are talking about in this thread?

03-19-2010 12:36 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Hillard
Posting Freak Wannabe

I'd look for a fluid trainer - Blackburn makes a model that's usually on sale online somewhere.

But, if you really want an outdoor experience indoors, go with rollers - many have variable resistance units, and you're also not tied down to a stationary position.  But, you do have to take care not to fall off...

Here are a few examples...

Blackburn:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/BLATTQJM

Cycleops:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/CYCTTZKO

Kurt Kinetic:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/KURTTRJH

Hillard, aka Mr. Runner Angie

<---  It's spring! Time to get back on my bike!

This post was last modified: 03-19-2010 10:56 AM by Hillard.

03-19-2010 08:28 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

From what I have been told by some cycle shops everyone seems to say the Kurt Kinetics are the only way to go, Do you think it is worth the money?

03-26-2010 10:45 PM
CanadianBeancounter
Posting Freak Wannabe

I have the basic Trax model (it was red when I bought it in 2008) and it is fine. The roller that touches the tire is getting a bit of a trough in it now but it still works fine. Depends how much you are going to use it.

My friends have the one where you can change the tension on the wheel with a hand held remote but I have NEVER in 3 winters of riding ~ 6 hours per week, needed to get off my bike and change the tension. I can always get enough variation from just changing my gears.

All depends how much money you have and want to spend on it.

03-26-2010 11:34 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

I have a Cycleops Fluid II trainer and really like it. I have had it for almost 2 years, and it is still going fine.

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
03-26-2010 11:43 PM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

Thanks all. The two bigger bike stores around here have sales going on this weekend, so now is the time for me to buy one. Kills me to spend money to train inside when it is getting nicer out (then again it is snowing now).

03-27-2010 12:53 AM
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

Did you get one?

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
03-29-2010 08:52 PM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Jeff
Posting Freak Wannabe

I ended up getting it last night. I went with the Kurt Kinetic one. After reading online and talking to folks in threee stores it seems to be the one everyone suggested. It was a lot mroe then I spent on my first one, but I am trying to look at it as a long term purchase and not just an impluse or a want.

03-30-2010 10:43 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: