Post Reply  Post Thread 

Stress fracture
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

Group: Registered
Stress fracture

I got my MRI results back. I have a stress fracture accordign to the report. Though the PA couldn't show me the fracture on the MRI.

Here is what the report on the MRI said:

EXAM: MRI OF THE RIGHT FOREFOOT WITHOUT CONTRAST ADMINISTRATION

HISTORY: Pain in the first metatarsal. Rule out stress fracture. Patient is an avid runner.

REPORT:

TECHNIQUE: Multiple pulse sequences were obtained without contrast administration.

CORRELATION: Correlation was made to radiographs of the right foot dated 03/15/2010.

FINDINGS: A vitamin E marker was placed over the region of patient's maximal tenderness.

There is extensive bone marrow edema pattern noted within the base and shaft of the first metatarsal with a low signal intensity line present at the dorsal aspect of the metatarsal base consistent with a stress fracture. This fracture does not span the entire width of the metatarsal base. There is associated mild periosteal reaction/periosteal fluid. No other fracture is appreciated. The sesamoids demonstrate normal marrow signal, with no evidence of fracture or fragmentation. There is mild-to-moderate arthrosis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint with a small joint effusion and mild asymmetric chondral loss. The plantar plate attachments are intact.

IMPRESSION: MRI of the right forefoot demonstrates a stress fracture through the base of the first metatarsal with associated extensive bone marrow edema pattern and mild periosteal reaction.

I actually have the MRI images on a CD. I have looked through them, but I don't know what I am looking for. Or even at... LOL!

They gave me a carbon foot plate to put into my shoe to keep my foot from flexing. I can continue running. But I have to be aware and stop if it gets worse.

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
03-19-2010 06:28 AM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

RE: Stress fracture

A stress fracture doesn't show as blatantly as regular fracture. It is often a shadow type visual effect and they look for the other accompanying elements~ such as the edema and periosteal reaction. It takes years for radiologists to read them so don't expect to see it or know what you are looking at :)

Interesting about the carbon foot plate.

03-19-2010 07:30 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Iniquity

Heal (or heel) quickly!

This post was last modified: 03-19-2010 10:20 AM by Iniquity.

03-19-2010 10:20 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

One thing that makes me question the accuracy of the report... "Patient is an avid runner."

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
03-19-2010 10:31 AM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Donaldaz
Posting Freak

Maybe they got your chart confused with someone else?

Upcoming Races
Las Vegas Full/Half Marathon, Nov 16th
Gilbert Half Marathon, Nov 22nd
Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon, Dec 14th
PF Chang's Marathon, Jan 18th
03-19-2010 10:39 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Slowpole
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE:  Stress fracture

Shy Flirt Wrote:

One thing that makes me question the accuracy of the report... "Patient is an avid runner."

I was thinking the same thing!

Hope it heals fast. Be careful with it.

Slowpole events into the future:

Marathons: Mardi Gras 2/24/13, Colorado 5/13/13?, LVM 11/17/13

Tri's:  Leon's World Fastest Tri Olympic 6/2/13?, Beach 2 Battleship Ironman 10/26/13
03-21-2010 04:33 AM
We're Tri-ing
Posting Freak Wannabe

Where did you get the carbon foot plate? I found that easing back on the speed helps too, maybe because it's less pounding? I'm being very cautious right now and I just want to make it to the starting line!
Shannon is on the injured list too, maybe we can all hobble together?

Donna

03-22-2010 05:56 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

Donna, I got the carbon plate from the Orthopaedist. This is like what I got:
http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?ProductID=882

I ran 7 miles at an easy pace on Saturday, and didn't have any foot pain.

What happened to Shannon? I am guessing Shannon injured, and hobbling can still outrun my a$$! LOL!

RJ

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
03-22-2010 10:54 PM
We're Tri-ing
Posting Freak Wannabe

Thanks for the link Rob. Shannon has done quite a number on his hamstring. Its a strain I believe? Its very bruised and he isn't running at the moment and trying to rest it. I think he overstretched it but what do I know;)

Donna

03-23-2010 11:09 PM
Shy Flirt
Posting Freak

I had my follow up appt with the orthopaedist yesterday. I have had no pain since I took the 9 days off of running. She said I can take the carbon foot plate out of my shoe (unless the pain returns). I am doubting I really had a stress fracture. Even the ortho said she was a little dubious of the stress fracture diagnosis from the MRI. I had an Xray yesterday and she showed me a white line that she said might have been a healed fracture. Anyway, I am cleared to run with just the inserts in my shoes.

Next week I'm going to have an MRI to find out if I have claustrophobia.

Fitness For Sports
My Bikes
Low Fat Diet & Recipes
04-15-2010 10:34 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: