Post Reply  Post Thread 

Can BP get too low?
Randy
Posting Freak Wannabe

Group: Registered
Can BP get too low?

Giving platelets this morning and my BP was 94/60, it's been trending down for the last few months but that seems to be pretty low. It's never been anywhere near high even when I was considerably over weight. I guess my concern is that while I've lost weight, I could easily stand to lose 10-15 more, and my training isn't exactly rigorous. So if I did get serious about a BQ or something like that would it keep going down?

My last place award with Age Group award

Next: Nov 22 Tulsa, Dec. 13 Tulsa double half, January
Waco 50K

11-11-2010 02:19 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

RE: Can BP get too low?

Randy, 94/60 is fine. Any doctor would praise you for that one honestly. As long as you are not symptomatic ~ dizzy upon standing or in general, faint feeling etc~ it is fine. Although you say you might need to drop some pounds your BP reflects the shape your heart is in and you are obvioulsy able to perfuse your body with that BP or you would be dizzy, faint etc. :)  I bet it did freak out the platelet people a bit though. They tend to think that everyone should be 120/80 which is a very old textbook example of "normal". And honestly the standard now days is that you should be UNDER that number.

This post was last modified: 11-12-2010 12:04 AM by RunnerAngie.

11-12-2010 12:02 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Randy
Posting Freak Wannabe

Thanks Angie, I was thinking that but was a little unsure. No symptoms, but I've even been questioned about it by our Worker's Comp doctors when we do our medical monitoring. My doctor has said it was fine, but that was in the 100's range. I'll talk to her in January to be sure.

I feel a little sorry for the blood bank people, they get low pay and most of them move on pretty fast. Same job I had way back in 1977, I was making less than minimum wage but it came with insurance!

My last place award with Age Group award

Next: Nov 22 Tulsa, Dec. 13 Tulsa double half, January
Waco 50K

11-13-2010 02:21 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
CanadianBeancounter
Posting Freak Wannabe

That's about what my BP is all the time. I easily feel faint when I stand up too quickly. I often feel faint at the end of races, which I think has to do with BP but Ang and my doc say no, it's more to do with dehydration.

I'm an accountant, so what do I know, lol!

11-14-2010 03:43 PM
fimfam
Posting Freak Wannabe

In the last 2 months my BP has been all over the place. From as low as 75/43 to as high as 149/64. I do get dizzy when I stand up too fast or after some of my runs. When the nurse takes it it's usually near normal.

but then I'm only a retired Ag. Inspector so what do I know.

have road will run

11-15-2010 08:38 AM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: