Pages (2): « First « 1 [2] Last » Post Reply  Post Thread 

Running & Genetics ~ or why Ang hasn't been running.
Prncssrnnr
Posting Freak Wannabe

Group: Registered
RE: Running & Genetics ~ or why Ang hasn't been running.

Ang ~ sorry to hear about this and like Kevin mention I too was fascinated to read whats going on with. Jim was told last month he too has high BP and was put on a low dose of Lisinopril too. Docs told him his records show he has had it for about 5 years now and they never bothered to mention to him. Probably because he has been in and out of the country so much during that time that he never slowed down enough so that a doc could discuss it with him. Dunno......He had a stress test, the kind where they inject you with something, do a test, then have you run your a$$ off and test you during and again after. That came out fine so like others he is making a few changes in his lifestyle. Less salt, watching what he eats better and dropping about 5-10lbs. He's always been active so not certain what changes he can make there. Also seems to be a genetic thing for him as well. And if I had to guess I'd say the past 5 years have been pretty stressful for him too between my issue with the "c" word and all his deployments. I keep telling him to find his happy place but that means something a bit different to him ; )

I don't care to join this BP team but it's also funny because the first day I went to the doc about my foot the nurse told me my BP was extremely high. I had to explain to her that I just walked, hobbled from the car to the office and I was in A LOT of pain. They took it again before I left and it was closer to normal....for me. Now that I'm sippin hateraid on a daily basis I bet it's high again. I need to find my happy place..........but that will not happen for another 5 weeks. (yes I'm counting)

Wow, I just made this all about the Scheppards.......Sorry Ang.

Please take care of yourself. We love you and need you around for a long time!

Life is good!
05-18-2011 02:11 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

Julie, no worries about talking about Jim. It is consoing to know that there are others out there who do try to take care of themselves and still get this stupid thing. I love that they did a stress test on Jim. Extra points to your doctor. The more you know about the status of your health the better.

RJ~ your heart is most likely fine. There are so many other issues that play into blood pressure than the heart. The heart is just the mechanism by which we know what the pressure is. It is more a vascular issue than a cardiac muscle issue per say. As Kevin said~ the running making our hearts strong is a HUGE help in things.

My doctor has been more than vocal on saying that I need to keep running, my arteries from the test we did are completely healthy and that modifying diet is the big issue. Stress is also a MAJOR component in BP and so I am trying not to worry about it. Once we get the meds where they need to be I can stop worrying overall. I did just check it and it was 100/74! That is progress ;)

Anyone else have stories about BP. I am curious as to how many of us healthy folks actually have it. Seems more than we think huh?

05-18-2011 06:35 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Slowpole
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE:  Running & Genetics ~ or why Ang hasn't been running.

RunnerAngie Wrote:

Leon~ the first one they gave me was an ACE inhibitor; Lisinopril. It brought the pressure down nicely. I reacted to that one first~ awful rash that was tiny blisters and SO itchy. The second one was an ARB ~ similar to an ACE but the pathway of action a bit different. Also had the rash with that one. I am not on Hydrchlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg per day. The diastolic is still running in the mid to upper 80's quite often. I am not sure how much they'll up that one before adding a different class ~ Ca++ Channel Blockers (Norvasc). They are avoiding Beta Blockers for me if at all possible as they don't allow you to exercise much due to keeping the heart rate low. So hopefully this HCTZ will kick in and work better soon.

Lisinopril is what I take and seems to work for me. Last year about this time I tried a Beta Blocker as a test to determine if the Lisinopril was related to my cramping issues. It seemed to get better but felt like it was killing me, so I switched back. With my resting heart beat already in the low 40's, it dropped into the 30's. I started to feel lethargic and started having PVC's. I think I originally tried a calcium blocker? and did nothing to control my BP. Heredity can be a bad thing!

Slowpole events into the future:

Marathons: Mardi Gras 2/24/13, Colorado 5/13/13?, LVM 11/17/13

Tri's:  Leon's World Fastest Tri Olympic 6/2/13?, Beach 2 Battleship Ironman 10/26/13
05-18-2011 07:37 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

Leon~ Lisinopril is a great med and often the first choice of many docs for BP control. I was thrilled with it as within an hour it took me from 154/98 to about 110/74! But then 12 hours later the rash happened. I was so bummed. I am told that reactions to Lisinopril are extremely rare......go figure huh? LOL ;)

05-18-2011 08:57 AM
wazzuguy

Wow, sorry to hear about you feeling so crummy Angie.......BUT glad that they found what it is so now they can fix it!

Looking like you have a whole gaggle of kindred spirits here....GO TEAM BP*!

(*note that LVM TEAM BP is not now nor ever has been associated with the exploding of rigs, refineries, or other things beginning with "r"s.....except maybe races, but those don't often explode)

Upcoming Runs
???

<-------- Finishing the Great Wall of China Marathon for the second time Wheeee!

05-18-2011 11:20 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
fimfam
Posting Freak Wannabe

Angie, sorry to hear about all your set backs but glad your heath is improving. Knowing you you'll be running your 20 milers by this fall I'm sure. Unfortunately I'm also on the LVM BP team. I was diagnosed when I had my phyiscal at age 62. Which ain't bad because my two brothers and two sisters were on BP meds when they were in their 40's and 50's. They are all diabetic as well. I'm not. My one brother had a stroke when he didn't stay with the medication. He survived the stroke but has limited mobility. I believe my regular exercising helped differ the hypertension and diabeties. I'm also on Lisinopril

My BP bounces around more than I like. But It stays low enough most of the time. I was told that 130/80 was not too high for my age.
The scary part is that when I check it after my long runs it drops down to 75/40something and I get real dizzy for a short while.

have road will run

05-21-2011 11:26 AM
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

Jerry~ that is pretty darn low especially when you have symptoms with it. Maybe you dn't need as much of the medicine? Who knows ~ it all seems so fickle at times doesn't it. Up on eminute down the next.

I posted on the Weekend thread that the past 4 days my meds have really kicked in and I am back to my usula 100/60 range. I have been 94/64 and no dizzyness as well. I always ran that low prior to kids but it seems the stress of them alone made me go up to 100/60! LOL. Now look what they've done to me ~ made me hypertensive and on medicine. :) All in all it is a good thing to know what's up and to treat it ~ better safe than sorry.

05-21-2011 12:16 PM
Slowpole
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: Running &amp; Genetics ~ or why Ang hasn't been running.

I usually don't take my meds before running for the reason Jerry says - BP dropping considerably after finishing a run. I'll wait about an hour after my run then take them.

Slowpole events into the future:

Marathons: Mardi Gras 2/24/13, Colorado 5/13/13?, LVM 11/17/13

Tri's:  Leon's World Fastest Tri Olympic 6/2/13?, Beach 2 Battleship Ironman 10/26/13
05-21-2011 09:50 PM
RunnerAngie
Posting SuperFreak

Leon~ I have gone to doing the same thing now that my BP has come down nicely. It was 104/65 before my run, immediately after I finished today, I checked it in my car and it was 128/88 and then 20 minutes later back down to 94/68. I took it then and started to hydrate. I think I will be safer taking if afterwards now that things are normalized! YAY!

05-21-2011 11:06 PM
fimfam
Posting Freak Wannabe

I'll try that.

have road will run

05-22-2011 06:57 AM
Pages (2): « First « 1 [2] Last »

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: