2012 improvements
Ottawa

Group: Registered
2012 improvements

Looks like they are getting ready to announce the changes:

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/2012/03/las-vegas/2012-race-improvements_27019

Start and Finish in separate locations. Marathon map should be interesting. Sounds like we might do the strip first again then come back and merge for only the final 3 miles in a fenced off lane. That might work.

What does everyone think?

Ross - Ottawa (yes, I still exist)

03-21-2012 10:41 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author
Daniel M
Posting Freak Wannabe

RE: 2012 improvements

I think with their money-first attitude any physical changes that they propose will still fall short.

I have only ever had one email returned by them, and it was to assure me that with the wave start and the mile-long separate lane, there would be no problem with the 2011 merge. Well they f'ed up on the wave start and the separate lane was a joke. When I asked for my money back for this misrepresentation they have not answered a single email. Fark them.

<----- Running in Edmonton at -22°C / 7°F
03-22-2012 03:02 AM
ZonaRunner

Ross,
I caught that as well before they took down the page.  It said the start will be at the Luxor and the finish will be between Caesers Palace and the Mirage.  Also moved the Marathon start up to 3:00 and the Half was either 4:00 or 4:30.  It was a pretty long list of proposed changes from increasing the Expo space, adressing crowding at the start, in the corrals and at the finish and minimizing "the merge".

If these are the changes they will be announcing soon, I'll be impressed.  Of course, we'll see how many actually happen.

--------------------------
Nov 2 - New York Marathon
Nov 16 - Las Vegas Marathon
03-22-2012 07:18 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author
Ottawa

Darn, I should have saved the page. I expect they are close now. The changes sounded good.

03-23-2012 03:07 AM
ZonaRunner

I got this off the FB page. Maybe this thread should be moved to the main forum.

2012 race improvements
Over the last three months we have taken the time to analyze the challenges experience by many at the 2011 event. We are committed to producing seamless events and have put together a plan that addresses the specific changes and improvements for this year’s event. Click any of the subheadings to expand for more information.
Improvements at the Health & Fitness Expo
Bigger and Better Health & Fitness Expo to Improve Crowding
· The Health & Fitness Expo will be located in a larger convention space – 50,000+ additional square feet – with a separate entrance and exit, to provide more space for all expo visitors.
· Special incentives and prizes will be offered to participants who visit the Expo on Friday. More detail on this exciting program to come soon.
Improvements at the Start Line
1. New, Improved Start Village at Luxor
The Start Village will now be located at the The Luxor Employee Parking Lot,(East side of Las Vegas Blvd between Hacienda and Reno). This location and an improved layout offers participants more entrances to access the Start Line on Las Vegas Blvd. This will improve the ease of runners locating and reaching their designated corrals.

2. Designate More Space for Each Corral
New start line location allows more room for each corral.

3. Increased Security of Corrals
To ensure participants are starting at their correct pace time, we will have increased security managing corral access. This will ensure participants are starting in their assigned corral.

4. Extended Wave Start Timeline
The wave start in 2012 will run for up to 90 minutes. The extended timeline will control the density of the crowds coming across the start line, on the course and, most importantly, at the finish line.

Improvements Along the Course
1. Course Crowding
We will allow more time for each corral to cross the start line. This will ensure a proper wave- start, minimizing the course crowding. (See wave start notes above under the Start Line section)

2. Full and Half-Marathon Course Merges
The 2012 courses will merge together at mile 10 (half-marathon) and mile 23 (full marathon) compared to mile 1 / mile 14 merge that was used in 2011. A marathon-only lane will be maintained for the last 3 miles of the course through the use of fencing and delineators to allow no comingling of the half and the full courses.

Start Times

· Marathon: 3:00 p.m.
· Half Marathon: 4:30 p.m.
Earlier start times for both the marathon and half-marathon gives participants more time to rest, relax and enjoy all of the weekend activities including Post-Race parties.

3. Increased Staff, Security & Volunteers
There will be more staff, volunteers and security along the course. Additional staff will be positioned at water and medical stations to guarantee runners receive a spectacular experience.

Improvements at the Finish Line
1. More Room at New Finish Line Location and Larger Secure Zone
With a new finish line location on Las Vegas Boulevard (near Caesar’s Palace & The Mirage) participants will enjoy the benefit of increased amount of space after crossing the finish line.

· The secure zone will now be longer so runners will move easily while receiving their medals, mylars and post-race refreshments. The total secure zone footprint is increasing from approximately 60,000 square feet to 86,000 square feet.
· Multiple ‘Runner Exits’ will allow participants to conveniently and quickly exit the secure zone and head to their hotel.
2. Gear Check Located on the Strip, within the Secure Zone
Gear Check will be located before exiting the secure zone. Locations will be split to decrease the amount of runner traffic and wait times. Runner exits will be conveniently located at each of the Gear Check locations.

3. New Finish Line Location is Near Strip Properties
Runners will now have the ability to walk to numerous Las Vegas Strip properties from the finish line, without the reliance on transportation. Over 15 hotel properties that have more than 50,000 hotel rooms will be located less than one mile from the new finish line venue.

· View Finish Line Map
· View Hotel Property Map near Finish

--------------------------
Nov 2 - New York Marathon
Nov 16 - Las Vegas Marathon
03-23-2012 03:52 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author
Daniel M
Posting Freak Wannabe

That's funny, I don't think they intended it to be released yet they had it on a publicly accessible web page.

<----- Running in Edmonton at -22°C / 7°F
03-23-2012 05:09 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: