Post Reply  Post Thread 

2015 Year in Review
Flyin' Eagle

Group: Registered
2015 Year in Review

Throwing this out there to capture the good and some not so good stuff for LVM21ers. Let it rip...

For me, this has been a momentous year for me running wise. Last year on this date, I could not walk without discomfort because an achilles injury that started about 3 months earlier, and it was getting worse rather than better. On Jan 1, I totally changed my training strategy and how I was treating my achilles. With a marathon coming at the end of February, one in May and if needed one in September, I set my sights on qualifying for Boston. It was not a good start to the year. Running lower mileage days, slower paces, and running everyday, I was able to get my miles in and in the process slowly nurse my achilles to the point where I had some days that were not so painful. Now at year end, my achilles is almost feeling normal at times. And, there is no pain when I run. Sometimes just a little tenderness following a run. So going into 2016 I feel pretty good about it and hope to have it completely normal once again at some point.

Despite the nagging injury, I did have some incredible results. Maybe it was the miles? I ran a total of 2163 miles this year, about 50% higher than in any of my 19 years of running. I broke my all time mileage for a month (248 miles) and set new records for 8 different months. I also completed 4 marathons for the first time knocking off 3 new states (AZ, CO, ID) along the way. I ran my 3rd fastest marathon (4:03) at the time in Phoenix, then broke my PR in Fort Collins (3:57), then smashed that in Pocatello with a 3:49. That qualified me for Boston, which used to be only a dream but in the last 2 years, it became a plan. I also ran my 2nd fastest 5k on my 60th birthday. Unfortunately I missed winning my age group (which I have never done in a run race) by just 3 seconds! Winning my age group is one of my lifetime run goals. (I also finished 2nd in my age group in Pocatello). Since my focus was on running and Boston, I limited my tri's and the biking and swimming training. I did manage a new PR for an Olympic tri though, mostly through making it through transitions much more quickly.

On a non running front, I finally finished a basement floor project I started at least 5 years ago! Not much else noteworthy this year other than the great football season my MSU Spartans had. I hope tonight they can cap off another win against Alabama to propel them into the championship game on Jan 11! We did have a little scare with Mike's (IceNuts) new wife, but that turned out fine.

For 2016, I am, of course, looking forward to running Boston April 18. I wish everyone could be there! After that, I hope to focus a little more on my biking and swimming this year and set some new tri PRs. I am looking forward to becoming a Grandpa for the first time (Vickster) and spending some time with my new grandson. We are also planning a trip to Europe to visit our son Patrick who is chasing a Masters Degree in Austria.

So I am a little sad that 2015 is ending as it has been such a good year for me. But, I look for 2016 to be just as exciting, if not more so. Of course, I had to say goodbye this year to our good friend Shirley and that hurt. And, we came close to losing Don who made a miraculous recovery. It is in these events that make you realize how lucky you are and that nothing should be taken for granted. I really hope I will take more time this coming year to visit friends and family more often.

Wishing the best for everyone in 2016!

Marathons:Wineglass 10/1, LVM 11/12
1/2 Marathons: TBD
Other: MI Titanium Half Iron Tri 8/20

< --BOSTON HERE I COME!!!!!!!!
01-01-2016 07:39 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Randy
Posting Freak Wannabe

Group: Registered
RE: 2015 Year in Review

Great Year Leon, sorry about Michigan State. I'm a semi-fan, many years ago they offered me a scholarship I couldn't take, but still appreciate it.

My year was uneventful, no great improvements or changes in my running. I did experience my first ever DNF in February, never did figure out what was wrong with me but pretty sure dropping out was the right decision.

2016 will be a big decision year for me, the first time I'm really considering retirement. I've been eligible for 10 years, but this could be the year.

Hope everyone has a great year!

My last place award with Age Group award

Next: Nov 22 Tulsa, Dec. 13 Tulsa double half, January
Waco 50K

01-03-2016 02:13 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: